Monday 23 March 2009

saving private ryan

In my opinion, this film is one of the most skilfully and accurately done war films of my generation. I think the first time I watched this film I was actually moving my head every time a bullet wizzed past of a mortar round hit the ground. The attention to detail in the set design is astounding, I have visited Normandy as well as other land marks of the first and second world wars and the bunkers on the beach that still remain are almost identical to those that were recreated for the film and I found it amazing how the tank traps can still be seen on some parts of the beach. As the film continues and the men travel further into France, the audience develops a bond with each character, usually one in particular. For this reason, each time a character dies (the medic in particular as the relationship between the characters and the audience is more advanced by this point), the feeling that is evoked within the audience is far greater. By the end of the film the audience is really rooting for the squad and although most of them lost their lives, we are filled with a sense of relief that they completed the mission.

(If you liked Saving Private Ryan you will seriously love Band of brothers… Watch it!)

No comments: